02 June 2011

Theology of Suffering (a rough draft, part 1)

These are my rough thoughts on suffering...

Human nature works alot like this: avoid discomfort at all costs. Most of our lives center around this principle of removing everything that causes discomfort. In the most harmless sense of this, we fulfill our basic needs: we eat to assuage the discomfort of hunger, we sleep to assuage the discomfort of being tired, we dress warmly to avoid being cold, we run the air conditioner to avoid getting too hot, we take medicine to remove the discomfort of allergies or pain. We operate largely, in our carnal nature, on this premise.

We avoid anything that makes us too uncomfortable and praise all things that are for our convenience. And the thing is, that in the West, we can make that our reality. (Even the poorest of Americans are in the top 2% of the world's wealth) Everything can be easy peasy, cushy gushy and we don't need to feel the pain of trial or suffering.

So what do we do with the Bible's apparent emphasis on suffering as the way to life?

The dictionary defines suffering (or to suffer) as: to undergo, be subjected to, or endure (pain, distress, injury, loss, or anything unpleasant)

James exhorts the church in James 1 to
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you face trials of various kinds, for your know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have it's full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

James says count it all joy when you have trials. Jesus promises that we will have them.

John 16: 33
33I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation (trials). But take heart; I have overcome the world."

Some synonyms for the word "trial" are: adversity, affliction, anguish, annoyance, bother, burden, cross to bear, pain, tribulation, unhappiness...

Antonyms are: happiness...

So let's break it down. What is suffering?

Suffering can be anything that causes me to be uncomfortable.

Whether it is mistreatment from a friend, being tortured for the sake of the gospel, someone saying something that annoys you, not having enough money to have everything you want, the way your little sister chews her cereal, someone waking you up when you really wanted to sleep, betrayal, sickness, death...

Trails of various kinds.

If Jesus and all the Apostles spoke so much of suffering, should we think it wise to construct a theology that does not embrace this concept?

Most preachers in the West preach a message that not only says that you don't have to suffer because Jesus did, but they actually make the gospel a message of "Accept Jesus and He'll take all your problems away".

I just want to say that I am not advocating beating yourself, starving yourself, or living in a box for Jesus' sake. But this concept of embracing discomfort or suffering is something that I think we (and when I say "we" I mean me!) need a revelation of.

In our carnal nature, we not only do not embrace suffering or trials or temptations, we run in the other direction, put up road blocks, or distract ourselves from them by watching entire seasons of Iron Chef on Hulu (guilty).

But suffering (trials, temptations, pressure) is VALUABLE.

Why are these things valuable? Why did Jesus allow us to still be in the world among all these things? Why is suffering important?

Because it reveals the heart.

When that person does that thing I can't stand what happens on my insides?? When someone reviles me? When someone disagrees with me? "Presses my buttons"? What is the reaction of my heart?

I'll tell the truth: usually, not holy. not kind. not pure.

I need suffering. I need discomfort. Why? Because it tests me. I want to be like gold refined in fire. Jesus knows that gold needs to be tested. He is really wise. We forget sometimes that He knows us infinitely better than we do.

There are lot of things that can't enter the kingdom of heaven... sin can't enter the Kingdom... bitterness in my heart won't secure me a place in His house when He comes. And He's after our hearts, our ways, alot more than our actions...

Sometimes I'll think to myself, "Will there ever be a time when I'm not dealing with SOME area of sin in my heart? I am weary of it"... and then I think "I hope not"...

Because here's the thing: There is a really day when a real King will come with a real reward in His hand. There is a day when I will stand before perfect righteous Judge and every moment of my life will be relived in light of His holiness. It will all be revealed by His eyes of fire. I don't want to be found wanting on that day....

He would much rather allow us to suffer now than suffer loss on THAT day.

So suffering (embracing discomfort) is actually the way to life. It is wisdom to reject the path of least resistance and face the wind.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you face trials of various kinds, for your know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have it's full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
...more to come....

1 comment: