08 May 2011

Mothers Day Musings...

Today I had the honor and privilege to spend time with my mom (via Skype) and one of my spiritual mothers here in Redding as well as some other amazing moms. I realized that I have been surrounded, from day 1 of my life with THE MOST amazing moms. Now, most of my closest friends have children of their own and I have to say, they are some of the best mothers the world has seen. Seriously.

So I got to thinking about moms and their role in my life; past and present... What is the role of a mother? In my life, in all the different phases and facets of it...

The Lord has really been speaking to me lately about mothers in my life and what it means to me that they are there. I think that that if I could sum up what these wonderful women speak into my life is: value.

Think about it. From day one, in this mother-daughter relationship, you learn, from your mother how to value yourself. Because she is a woman too, you learn how to think about yourself, carry yourself, love yourself. And you learn value for others from a mother. There is nothing more fierce than a mothers love. Loving in laying your life down. Love in putting self second and always coming to another's defense or aid.

I am still learning this from the mothers in my life. Value for myself. How to value others in the same self sacrificing way. Thank you.

So.. to the mothers in my life-

Thank you Mommy- for giving me life. For guarding my life. For laying down your life for me. For feeding me and holding me. For teaching me how to sing. For teaching me how to pray. For teaching me how to serve. For teaching me how to be honest and FREE. For teaching me how to love my future husband in the way you love Daddy. For teaching me about that fierce tenacious love that holds the line of truth and never lets go. Ever. Ever. You are stronger than you know and a better mother than you could imagine. I think of Pauls words... Love always protects, always hopes, always believes- it never gives up. That's you. I love you, mama.

Thank you Grandma Mickey- my greatest grandma. :) For laying the foundation for our family. For fighting in faith for your family. You are one strong woman of God. I reap what you have sown and I am eternally grateful to you for teaching all of us what faithfulness really is. I love you.

Thank you Grandma- for being my second home growing up. For always generously giving me whatever was in your power to give (I am Soooo spoiled) :) For always supporting me at every event I ever had one line to speak or sing. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for your pursuit of the Lord and continuing to pass on the legacy of Faith. My children and their children will reap of that. It is a seed that will bear fruit for eternity. I love you.

Thank you Terrie- for being my Redding mom. For kicking me in the butt on a daily basis. For adopting me into your own family. For teaching me to cook. For being a silent (and sometimes not so silent ;) ) strength in my life. I love you.

Thank you Peggy- for never letting me off the hook in my words over myself. You teach me to see me as the Father does. I love you.

Thank you Charis, Jenn, Atasha, Heather, Claudia, Jen B, and Melissa- for letting me snuggle your babies, for letting me practice my mommy skills by babysitting, for telling me about labor and nursing and everything else I want to/don't want to know (lol), for living day in and day out the greatest call of your lives- of laying it down in love for your children... I love you all very much.

Thank you God. For showing me the love of Father God through all the mothers in my life. I am blessed among women.

1 comment: