02 February 2011

Now faith is...

Hebrews 11:1-2
Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for, the conviction of things unseen. For by it, the people of old received their commendation.
Hebrews 11 is a discourse on faith. I guess you could say the thesis of it is right here. This is what faith is. The writer of Hebrews goes through a long discourse of those in the Old Testament who believed God for something they did not receive in their lifetime. They believed and accordingly, set themselves apart as aliens living in a strange land. They never saw the "city whose builder and maker is God" that they were looking for. But they still lived as though their citizenship belonged there.

13These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.

Wow. Can you even imagine having the FAITH to do that without knowing any of the things that are now evident and that have been revealed to us through the Son and the Holy Spirit?

The author of Hebrews goes on and on about Abel, Noah, Abraham, Moses, etc...

These people had faith. The assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things unseen.

So what is faith to me then?

I feel that many times, I have a different picture of faith than what it actually is. Lately, I have had the need for faith, for believing the Lord for provision and direction in my life in a way that I have never needed it before.
In the midst of my crisis of faith, feeling like I don't have enough faith, a good friend reminded me today that there are some things that I can be sure of. Those things are outlined in Scripture again and again. These are the things, according to the Word, that Hope is for.

I HOPE in the day of the Lord. I HOPE in the resurrection of the dead, of my physical body. I HOPE in that I will live in the Heavenly City with Christ. I HOPE in that my reward is in Heaven. I HOPE in that which I have not seen with my eyes or experienced with my mortal frame. My Hope of Glory (of resurrection power, reigning with Christ, perfect communion with Him, the restoration of all things).

Hope is for these things. Therefore, faith is living my life in the conviction of Christ in me the Hope of Glory. This is faith.

My hope is not in...
A prophetic word someone gave me about ministry

My hope is not in...
Having lots of money and possessions

My hope is not in...
a ten year plan or a twelve step program

My hope is not in...
most things that we thing are so important to believe the Lord for.

Faith is the assurance of things Hoped for, as outlined by the Lord. These things alone are what I should anchor my life in. That's what those of old did and it was credited to them as righteousness. Everything else is really... immaterial.

I think that's why Jesus made such a point in the Sermon on the Mount to tell us not to worry about anything. Not to worry about provision.

So. God, give me the grace to Hope in You. And trust, that you know my needs before I speak. to know that it is not an emergency if I don't understand all the details of Your plan for my life. To Hope alone in Jesus and live my life looking toward that glorious day, when I meet Him face to face. You will work all things together for my good.

I have to believe that if I first, Hope where Hope should lie, that everything else in my life will become a living testimony, by the grace of God, to that day, that city, that Man.
Hebrews 12:1
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faithwho for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 comments:

  1. Very true and well communicated. Thanks for sharing your heart. I appreciate it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you too lady. thanks for reading...

    ReplyDelete